[darktable-user] Problem with DNG files
Φώτης Ζάγορας
2018-11-14 18:54:53 UTC
Hi! Recently I have installed Darktable version 2.4.4 migrating from
lightroom.

In my photos collection I have a ton of DNG files converted to this
format from

the native KDC format of a KODAK P850.

Unfortunatrly I have seen that, when I activate darkroom, the preview of
most

images of this format in main window of the application comes with large

white (empty) spots - missing pixels. In other

photos I get the message that the white balance table cannot be read.

Obviously there is some serious problem with the sampling of DNG photos in

the darktable application. With other applications i.e RawTherapy I
don't have

any problem. They read easily the same pics.

Can you propose me any solution....

Thanks,

Fotis D. Zagoras

Athens, Greece.
Bruce Williams
2018-11-14 19:18:52 UTC
Accidentally hit reply, instead of reply all.
Just forwarding this to the list.

Cheers,
Bruce Williams.

Take any image which is not displaying properly in darktable, and in the
light table view, click on the history module (left hand side of the
interface), and click on the bottom-most entry (0-original).
Did the image display correctly?

Cheers,
Bruce Williams.
Bruce Williams
2018-11-14 19:46:07 UTC
No worries. It was worth a shot.
Hope someone is able to help you out.
Cheers,
Bruce Williams.

Bruce Williams
2018-11-14 20:02:23 UTC
Gah! My bad!
I meant to say in darkroom view, not "in light table view". My apologies.

Cheers,
Bruce Williams.

Bernhard
2018-11-14 20:42:22 UTC
The problem is that your DNGs are the result of a conversion.
These DNGs are not officially supported.
Am Mittwoch, 4. April 2018, 13:15:39 CEST schrieb Timur Irikovich
Hello everybody!
Just decided to play with DNG converter and discovered problem related
to lens data interpretation by DT (2.4.2).
1. NEF file loaded by DT applies correct lens parameters.
    Lens info shown by DT: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
VR II
2. DNG file cannot apply it because wrong EXIF information is used
(short lens name vs. full).
    Lens info shown by DT: 18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
3. Focus information also is lost in DNG.
That's why we tell everyone to never convert to DNG.
Tobias
[...]
That's the short answer.
- DNG is a RAW file format like NEF or CR2 or ORF or ...
- this is true only if the file comes out-of-camera this way.
The devs try to support as many RAW formats as they can - if
user-provided samples are available.
Many of the proprietary RAW-Formats come with different flavours based
on Camera Model, Camera Settings etc.
So testing this is a tremendous effort which has to be done on every
(minor) release of darktable.
Adding a simple RAW=>DNG converter would double this effort.
But: adding more RAW=>DNG converters would multiply this effort since
every proprietary flavour of any proprietary format would have to be
tested against every (proprietary or not) RAW=>DNG Converter.
So I totally understand the devs to care about original RAWs and not
on any variant of those.
[Perhaps a prominent message about this would be a good thing in the
manual/list of supported cameras?]
Please use the original RAW files of your camera.

Looking at this table
https://www.darktable.org/resources/camera-support/ it seems your camera
isn't supported at all.
You could upload samples to https://raw.pixls.us/ to help support this
camera in future.
--
regards
Bernhard

https://www.bilddateien.de
Bernhard
2018-11-14 21:50:19 UTC
Every book I read until now says, do not stay in camera raw file.
Convert it to DNG to avoid facing compatibility problems.
Those books mainly support Adobe Software - don't they? And thus they
clearly suggest to use a file format originally invented by Adobe ...
In fact I open them with lightroom (the program that converted them to
DNG), with Rawtherapee and with Vuescan without any problem. Only with
darktable I have until now this implication.... What can I say ?
Any way thank you for your advice!
Problem is that some of the RAW formats of some Camera manufacturers
contain proprietary metadata that possibly cannot be converted
correctly. So you have to store the original files anyways to be sure to
have them if you need them (e. g. to convert them later again if the
converter has approved to support those RAWs better - so I for me don't
care about converting (b. t. w. this can be done later if there will be
a time when there is no software around that will read my RAW files.
Then I can use the last computer with the last version of any converter
before that age to batch convert my archive ...).
It doesn't affect me, but just out of interest, is it a case of NO
.dng files are supported, or just .dng files created from that
particular camera type?
The darktable devs say that DNG directly from Camera are fine (like
Pentax e. g., there is a setting within the camera where you can select
between DNG or PEF), but NOT DNG that is converted by some software
outside the camera.
--
regards
Bernhard

https://www.bilddateien.de
Bruce Williams

The problem is that your DNGs are the result of a conversion.
These DNGs are not officially supported.

From a recent discussion:
Tobias Ellinghaus schrieb am 04.04.2018 um 13:36:

Am Mittwoch, 4. April 2018, 13:15:39 CEST schrieb Timur Irikovich
Davletshin:

Hello everybody!

Just decided to play with DNG converter and discovered problem related
to lens data interpretation by DT (2.4.2).

1. NEF file loaded by DT applies correct lens parameters.
Lens info shown by DT: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
VR II

2. DNG file cannot apply it because wrong EXIF information is used
(short lens name vs. full).
Lens info shown by DT: 18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

3. Focus information also is lost in DNG.

That's why we tell everyone to never convert to DNG.

Tobias

[...]

That's the short answer.

The long answer could look like this:

Michael Fritze
2018-11-15 17:32:28 UTC

I have a python script which checks if dt can read raw files in a folder. E.g.
white balance table cannot be read. I doubt it will find images with white
pixels.
Currently tested with Linux and Windows. Are you interested?

BR, Micha.