[darktable-user] darktable stable and unstable on the same machine - profile question
Bernhard
2018-12-10 20:36:37 UTC

currently I am considering to move away from Linuxmint (too many issues
with my machine) and while looking through the Manjaro/Arch Repos I
found darktable-git as well as darktable 2.4.x.

This raised the following question:
Is there a possibility to have both versions installed on the same
machine to run them independently from each other?
Do they use the same profile - and more important: is there a way to let
them operate on their specific profile?

That would enable me (and possibly others) to do my work with darktable
stable version and also run the development version from time to time -
especially at this time of the year with the release candidates around -
and help report bugs etc.
--
regards
Bernhard

https://www.bilddateien.de
Bruce Williams
2018-12-10 20:51:51 UTC
Others may have a more suitable or elegant answer, but I've been
considering a similar proposition.... Which is to simply create a second
user account on the Linux machine and run the unstable/development version
of darktable under that account.
Given that all the processing is stored in sidecar files, both user
accounts (and therefore, both the stable and unstable releases) would be
able to read the same folders and see the same sidecar files.
I guess there might be issues when the stable release tried to look at
sidecar files which were created in the unstable version.
Thoughts?
Cheers,
Bruce Williams.

August Schwerdfeger
2018-12-10 21:00:05 UTC
I have often run several different versions of Darktable
(manually-compiled) on my machine.

Due to database incompatibilities between the major versions of Darktable,
you either have to create a second user account as Bruce suggests, or use
the '--configdir' command-line option to specify a different configuration
directory/database for each version.

I imagine that there would be similar compatibility issues involved if you
imported image files into more than one such database and the sidecar files
were overwritten, but I have never done this, so I cannot say for sure.

--
August Schwerdfeger
David Vincent-Jones
2018-12-10 23:34:24 UTC
I suspect that running multiple versions may well provide multiple
headaches.

darktable is complex enough in a single version. KISS .. is best advice.