[darktable-user] Ubuntu 18.04->18.10 upgrade, NVidia?
KOVÁCS István
2018-12-04 21:36:10 UTC

I'd like to ask whether those who have upgraded from Ubuntu 18.04 to
18.10 and use Nvidia cards have experienced any issues. I'm
considering an update.

Thanks,
Kofa
Coding Dave
2018-12-04 21:49:41 UTC
All good on my side, may it be 2.4 or current master. I dont experience any
nvidia related issues.

Hi,
Stéphane Gourichon
2018-12-05 20:22:55 UTC
Hello,

I did a similar move. More precisely, I installed Xubuntu 18.10
alongside Xubuntu 18.04 on my PC, to keep ability to continue using
current version.

I have not noticed any issue with darktable itself.

What I noticed, though, are X stability problems. Consequences are X
session lost with all unsaved information lost, too. This can lose some
work in darktable and other programs.

These problems might be a consequence of using multiple monitors, a
situation perhaps not as well tested as it should be, yet somehow common
I guess among darktable users?

For example, any time I suspend the laptop while external screens are
used, when I resume without external screen plugged in, X crashes.

I observed those stability problems with open-source nouveau driver as
well as with closed-source nvidia driver.

I'd be happy to hear about whether it works for you.

@Coding Dave, what's your hardware?

Mine is laptop Asus n551jk, 16GB RAM, video NVIDIA Corporation GM107M
[GeForce GTX 850M] on Intel chipset (Optimus blablah hardware setup
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus ).

Cheers!