Wrong defaults in Lens Correction module
Hans Petter Birkeland
2016-01-25 11:57:33 UTC
Hi,
I have been very slow about this, hoping that it would correct itself in a
new version, but now that 2.0 is here I feel that I have to say something.

For quite a while now the default geometry correction in the Lens
Corrections module has been Thoby Fish-eye, and not Rectilinear. This has
been since sometime in the 1.6.x series, I'm not quite sure, but at least
for the last six months, maybe longer.

This means that I can't just turn on the module, I have to manually choose
Rectilinear, and then reset the Scale, since it sticks with the Thoby
Fish-eye scaling. I don't understand why this hasn't been mentioned on the
mailing list, am I the only one affected by this? If that is the case, can
I do anything to make it right? It is pretty annoying.

Other than that, 2.0 is a great release!

Best regards,
Hans Petter
http://hpbirkeland.com
Torsten Bronger
2016-01-25 12:12:59 UTC
Hallöchen!
Post by Hans Petter Birkeland
[...]
For quite a while now the default geometry correction in the Lens
Corrections module has been Thoby Fish-eye, and not
Rectilinear. This has been since sometime in the 1.6.x series, I'm
not quite sure, but at least for the last six months, maybe
longer.
This is a bug in Lensfun 0.3.1. Although there are other options, I
recommend to re-compile Darktable (although DT is not responsible
for the issue).

Tschö,
Torsten.
Torsten Bronger Jabber ID: ***@jabber.rwth-aachen.de
Hans Petter Birkeland
2016-01-25 12:24:21 UTC
Hi,
I'm not very comfortable with compiling things. The few times I have tried
I always ended up with more problems than I had before. Also, since it is
not a Darktable issue, how would that help?

I'm open to other solutions, but if it is difficult then I'll just let it
be and trust it will be fixed in Lensfun eventually.

Hans Petter

http://hpbirkeland.com
Torsten Bronger
2016-01-25 13:00:32 UTC
Hallöchen!
Post by Hans Petter Birkeland
I'm not very comfortable with compiling things.
How did you get Lensfun 0.3?
Post by Hans Petter Birkeland
The few times I have tried I always ended up with more problems
than I had before. Also, since it is not a Darktable issue, how
would that help?
Lensfun 0.3.x broke binary compatibility, so Darktable expects
fields in Lensfun at different addresses than they are. This leads
to arbitrary confusion. Actually, it is suprising that nobody has
reported aborts due to this so far.
Post by Hans Petter Birkeland
I'm open to other solutions, but if it is difficult then I'll just
let it be and trust it will be fixed in Lensfun eventually.
Note that an update to a newer Lensfun version will not help you,
only a downgrade.

Tschö,
Torsten.
Torsten Bronger Jabber ID: ***@jabber.rwth-aachen.de
Hans Petter Birkeland
2016-01-25 13:16:22 UTC
Post by Torsten Bronger
How did you get Lensfun 0.3?
I haven't done anything special, I think. Installed Darktable from
Pascal's Release PPA.
Post by Torsten Bronger
Note that an update to a newer Lensfun version will not help you,
only a downgrade.
Well, if I can downgrade without loosing corrections for my main lenses
Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM and Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM then I'll be happy
to do so. I think I did the same thing once on my previous pc, from 0.2.8
to a special version of 0.2.7 or something. Don't remember how I did it,
though :)

Hans Petter
Torsten Bronger
2016-01-25 13:33:00 UTC
Post by Torsten Bronger
Note that an update to a newer Lensfun version will not help you,
only a downgrade.
Well, if I can downgrade without loosing corrections for my main
lenses Canon EF-S 15-85mm IS USM and Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM then
I'll be happy to do so. I think I did the same thing once on my
previous pc, from 0.2.8 to a special version of 0.2.7 or
something. Don't remember how I did it, though :)
Yes, this is possible. Just downgrade (it doesn't matter how, maybe
older PPA, or original package of the distro). Then, download
http://wilson.bronger.org/db/version_0.tar.bz2 and extract its
contents over your local DB in /usr/local/share/lensfun or
/usr/share/lensfun. Make sure that no old Lensfun XML files
survive.

Tschö,
Torsten.
Torsten Bronger Jabber ID: ***@jabber.rwth-aachen.de
Hans Petter Birkeland

Bernhard
2016-01-25 19:44:04 UTC
Post by Torsten Bronger
Actually, it is suprising that nobody has
reported aborts due to this so far.
In fact I experienced the same problem
Post by Torsten Bronger
Thank you, now it is ok, with Lensfun 0.2.8. It turned out that 0.3.1
came with Gimp 2.9.
and that's obviously the reason for me also.

That leaves the question:
How can I prevent the system from taking lensfun from Kesselgulasch ppa
instead from regular repository (I don't want to freeze it completely in
case of security updates e. g.).
(Or do I have to downgrade to regular gimp?)
--
regards
Bernhard

http://www.bilddateien.de
Sebastian
2016-01-25 21:14:27 UTC
Hi,

I recommend to pin the gimp-ppa to a lower priority than the defaults.
Then explicitly install the gimp-package from PPA.
Howto: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

Sebastian
Post by Torsten Bronger
Thank you, now it is ok, with Lensfun 0.2.8. It turned out that 0.3.1
came with Gimp 2.9.
and that's obviously the reason for me also.
How can I prevent the system from taking lensfun from Kesselgulasch ppa
instead from regular repository (I don't want to freeze it completely in
case of security updates e. g.).
(Or do I have to downgrade to regular gimp?)
--
python programming - mail server - photo - video - https://sebix.at
To verify my cryptographic signature or send me encrypted mails, get my
key at https://sebix.at/DC9B463B.asc and on public keyservers.
Bernhard
2016-01-26 06:58:31 UTC
Post by Sebastian
I recommend to pin the gimp-ppa to a lower priority than the defaults.
Then explicitly install the gimp-package from PPA.
Howto:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto
thanks!!!
--
regards