[Darktable-users] Anyone with 30-bit color depth?
Roman Lebedev
2016-01-13 07:29:14 UTC
Hello, lists.

darktable's support for 30-bit color depth was again brought up in IRC
channel yesterday.

As far as i'm aware, none of us developers has the hardware (videocard
that supports
30-bit output + 30-bit monitor), so we have no means to test and
develop needed changes.

Traditional answer to the issue would be "not before someone donates
30-bit videocard +
30-bit wide-gamut display to one of developers".

However, is there anyone reading this lines, who
1. already has all of the 30-bit-enabled hardware AND
2. is running X in 30-bit color depth AND
3. uses darktable AND
4. has some basic debugging/development skills?

IF there is such a person, *MAYBE* we could make all the necessary changes and
test them with his/her help.

Roman.
Matthieu Moy
2016-01-13 16:48:37 UTC
Post by Roman Lebedev
Traditional answer to the issue would be "not before someone donates
30-bit videocard +
30-bit wide-gamut display to one of developers".
Donating a full equipment would be a bit much for a single donor I
guess, but I would be happy to give a few tens of dollars as 1) a
present to a developer (you all got me a nice Christmas present this
year and the previous, it's time to pay back ;-) ), and 2) a way to
improve darktable. I believe I'm not the only one.

Cheers,
--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/
Germano Massullo
2016-01-13 16:53:00 UTC
I agree
Roman Lebedev
2016-01-13 17:11:23 UTC
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Matthieu Moy
Post by Matthieu Moy
Post by Roman Lebedev
Traditional answer to the issue would be "not before someone donates
30-bit videocard +
30-bit wide-gamut display to one of developers".
Donating a full equipment would be a bit much for a single donor I
guess, but I would be happy to give a few tens of dollars as 1) a
present to a developer (you all got me a nice Christmas present this
year and the previous, it's time to pay back ;-) ), and 2) a way to
improve darktable. I believe I'm not the only one.
I'll pass i guess.

There is no way to donate to darktable because of legal issues
(who will have to handle taxes? but please, do not turn this thread
into discussion about it :)

And donating to someone is fishy - how could you know that he/she will
actually follow the agreement (== buy 30-bit hw)?

So it does sound good, but i really have no idea which hardware is needed,
and i have absolutely no idea how it should be handled from legal standpoint.
(not unless some company will get involved, which will take care of all that,
so one of us will only have to do the coding :)

So in the end "a person who already has the hardware" will be the best
solution :)
Post by Matthieu Moy
Cheers,
--
Matthieu Moy
Roman.
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/
Matthieu Moy
2016-01-13 17:28:18 UTC
Post by Roman Lebedev
And donating to someone is fishy - how could you know that he/she will
actually follow the agreement (== buy 30-bit hw)?
If I donate a few tens of euros to someone who already contributed
significantly to darktable, and this person ran away with the money, I'd
still consider the money well deserved ;-). IANAL, but I think a small
enough donation to a person would not require tax or so.
--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/
Pedro Côrte-Real
2016-01-13 17:28:56 UTC
Post by Roman Lebedev
So in the end "a person who already has the hardware" will be the best
solution :)
If I'm reading the specs correctly my Dell U2410 takes 30bit color.
Does anyone know if it's possible to drive it like that from a Lenovo
x230 (intel graphics) with display port? If not, what type of desktop
graphics card and driver combo would work? If I can get this to work
here I can take on doing the needed changes.

Cheers,

Pedro
Tobias Ellinghaus
2016-01-13 23:02:24 UTC
Post by Pedro Côrte-Real
Post by Roman Lebedev
So in the end "a person who already has the hardware" will be the best
solution :)
If I'm reading the specs correctly my Dell U2410 takes 30bit color.
U2413 here which supports 10bit, too, and also an x230. I tried to use 10bit a
while ago and failed miserably. If anyone has a pointer about making it work I
would be EXTREMELY happy.
Tobias
Tobias Ellinghaus
2016-01-14 00:26:08 UTC
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Pedro Côrte-Real
Post by Roman Lebedev
So in the end "a person who already has the hardware" will be the best
solution :)
If I'm reading the specs correctly my Dell U2410 takes 30bit color.
U2413 here which supports 10bit, too, and also an x230. I tried to use 10bit
a while ago and failed miserably. If anyone has a pointer about making it
work I would be EXTREMELY happy.
Hmm, it seems that I can at least start X with 30 (32?) bit depth. Most window
decorations look funny, and some applications misbehave, but dt seems to work.
I will see if I can tell cairo to render 30 bit colors and report back.
Tobias
Jean-Luc CECCOLI
2016-01-14 17:53:45 UTC
+1

Message du 13/01/16 17:52
ternaryd
2016-01-13 17:52:14 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:29:14 +0300
Post by Roman Lebedev
However, is there anyone reading this lines,
who 1. already has all of the 30-bit-enabled
hardware AND 2. is running X in 30-bit color
depth AND 3. uses darktable AND
4. has some basic debugging/development
skills?
Maybe, half of it...

I do have a GM107GL-A nVidia card on a new box
I'm to putting together. First, I had a
standard monitor plus one Eizo CS270. The
nouveau driver dropped out quickly, as it
wasn't able to even start in any mode. The
proprietary nVidia driver did start, however
only in 8-bit mode, which must be due to the
fact, that it is not able to deal with two
monitors that are so different. I contacted
nVidia on the live chat, but the guy wasn't
up to the challenge. Then I decided to get a
second CS270, which already arrived, but a
usable DP cable (which is not included in a
1000EUR monitor) is still due for this week.

The specifications of both, the card and the
monitor, promise that it should work, and while
the nVidia help desk guy didn't solve my
problem, he did say that their driver has "no
problem with 10 bits since a long time". For
this, I hope that I'll soon be set up to run X
on 10 bits.

So (1) I do have the hardware, (2) I don't have
X running in 10-bits, but I'm working on it,
(3) I do use darktable, though I'm no anywhere
close to an expert user, and (4) my day job
being that of a software developer (very
different topics), I do have the skills to run
a debugger, though not having that much time I
wish I had.
Post by Roman Lebedev
IF there is such a person, *MAYBE* we could
make all the necessary changes and test them
with his/her help.
Well, consider your *maybe* and in case, if you
don't get a better offer, drop me a note.
Cris
johannes hanika
2016-01-14 18:37:52 UTC
Post by Roman Lebedev
Hello, lists.
darktable's support for 30-bit color depth was again brought up in IRC
channel yesterday.
As far as i'm aware, none of us developers has the hardware (videocard
that supports
30-bit output + 30-bit monitor), so we have no means to test and
develop needed changes.
maybe he could ask nicely to do some tests/dev on it, "after hours". ;)
actually my hardware is fine.. i just need to find a dp cable instead
of the dvi one and would be ready for some tests, i suppose.

-jo
johannes hanika
2016-01-22 10:21:07 UTC
quick update on this:

i have a 30-bit setup now (display port, dell U2713H, nvidia quadro
5800, elderly model but apparently the first one to actually serve
30-bit through to the monitor).

x11 seems to work just fine, i can push 10-bit colour to the monitor
and get smooth gradients, yay.

gtk + cairo seems to work, kind of. cairo gradients seem to be drawn
in 8-bit, and manually drawing a bunch of rectangles gives me spot on
super smooth colour, but is terribly slow (like 30sec for one drawn
buffer instead of 0ms for 24-bit).

we may need to look into cairo sources or direct xorg buffer blitting
(non portable).

btw a surprising lot of my `desktop software' still works just like it
did before. okay, that's mostly the terminal, but also firefox,
thunderbird, gimp kind of (icons look broken, otherwise fine).

cheers,
jo