[Darktable-users] How to move folders?
digger vermont
2011-01-11 01:01:32 UTC
Hello,

I'm still trying to settle on a file structure for my images. Is
there any trick to moving or renaming folders I've already imported
into DT? I imagine that most info is in the xmp sidecars, so its just
a matter of removing the filmroll in DT and then reimporting the moved
or renamed folder. Is there else? If it makes a difference, I'm
using version 0.7.1+676~gdc825a7

Thanks for your help AND some great software.
digger

Sorry to the list moderator, i originally sent this with the wrong
email address.
Johannes Hanika
2011-01-11 10:18:25 UTC
hey,

we didn't implement file manager functionality in dt, so you have to
move your files outside dt.

if you didn't disable xmp sidecar writing, it is safe to just

1) remove the film from dt (inside dt)
2) move the files on disk to where you want them
use your favorite file manager
make sure the IMG_1234.RAW and IMG_1234.RAW.xmp still match if you
rename the files, not only folders
3) import the new folder in dt.

your processing history, color labels, star ratings and tags will be
carried over.

best,
jo
Tobias Ellinghaus
2011-01-11 18:42:49 UTC
Post by Johannes Hanika
hey,
we didn't implement file manager functionality in dt, so you have to
move your files outside dt.
if you didn't disable xmp sidecar writing, it is safe to just
1) remove the film from dt (inside dt)
2) move the files on disk to where you want them
use your favorite file manager
make sure the IMG_1234.RAW and IMG_1234.RAW.xmp still match if you
rename the files, not only folders
3) import the new folder in dt.
your processing history, color labels, star ratings and tags will be
carried over.
While this is the sane and "right" way to do it there is also a shortcut if
you have really many images which take too long to reimport:

0) make sure you have the command line tool "sqlite3" installed
1) close dt
2) in a shell enter "sqlite3 ~/.config/darktable/library.db"
3) select id, folder from film_rolls where folder like "%<SOMETHINGUNIQUE>%";
4) update film_rolls set folder="/new/path/to/your/images" where id =
<IDFROMLASTSTEP>;
5) ctrl-d
6) move images to /new/path/to/your/images/
7) start dt

In step 3 you have to replace <SOMETHINGUNIQUE> with a string from the old
path which makes it more or less unique. If the result has more than one row
you have to figure out which is the correct one. Remember the number in the
beginning of that row and use it as <IDFROMLASTSTEP> in step 4.

While these are twice as many steps as in the other way, it might still be
faster. Just remember that fiddling with the DB voids any warranty. Also make
a backup of library.db and/or learn some SQL before editing in there.
Post by Johannes Hanika
best,
jo
Tobias
digger vermont
2011-01-11 19:27:53 UTC
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Johannes Hanika
[...]
Post by Johannes Hanika
best,
 jo
Tobias
Thanks for both suggestions, though I had already used jo's method.
Even so, its good to have options.
-digger