[Darktable-users] How to donate
Martin Kopta
2015-05-11 06:16:20 UTC
Hi everyone,

I am trying to see whether there is a way to donate to the project on the
website, but I am unable to find anything.

I would like to donate some money to darktable (equivalent of Lightroom cost or
recurring donation) so the project keeps running (domain, hosting, backups, ..)
and developers can get better tools (better computer parts, various software,
used cameras for testing, continous testing of darktable itself, ..) and
darktable team could afford some small marketing (sending devs to do talks,
organize workshops, stickers, ..).

I quite like how OpenBSD Foundation donations [0] work.

Also, is there something like ~~ "Free Software Profesional Editing Foundation"
(darktable, Gimp, Pitivi, OpenShot, Blender, Inkscape, Ardour, ..) that would
officialy cover (as registered company) this donations?

Best regards,
Martin

[0] http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/donations.html
Rob Z. Smith
2015-05-11 08:23:13 UTC
Robert William Hutton
2015-05-11 08:29:02 UTC
There isn't currently a way to donate because there isn't a proper non-profit organisation to handle
the donations. To start a non-profit you need a quorum of a certain number of people to get
together physically. So far this hasn't happened, though there might be a chance that it will at
the next LGM in London if enough DTers show up.

Regards,

Rob
Dave
2015-05-11 08:53:59 UTC
I'd like to have a means of donation too.
This software is wonderful and has brought me a great deal of pleasure,
sharing and learning.
Please consider it more strongly.

Regards.
Dave Jones
Matthieu Moy
2015-05-11 11:05:22 UTC
Post by Robert William Hutton
There isn't currently a way to donate because there isn't a proper non-profit organisation to handle
the donations. To start a non-profit you need a quorum of a certain number of people to get
together physically.
You can also ask another organization to host your project.

For example, Software Freedom Conservancy does that for a number of
projects: http://sfconservancy.org/members/current/ (many projects are
SFC members to get a legal existence to participate in Google Summer of
Code for example).

Now, once you have money on a bank account, the other difficulty is to
spend it ;-).

I know that Git has a few thousands of dollars on the SFC bank account,
it's both very small compared to the price to pay a full-time developer
and very large compared to usual expanses like pay DNS and website
hosting, so essentially the money stays there and occasionally funds the
trip of a developer to a conference.
--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/
Michael Below
2015-05-11 11:17:19 UTC

if you need help setting up a non profit organisation I am glad to help: I'm
a lawyer, and a happy darktable user (and I've also asked how to donate to
darktable some time ago)... I can offer help setting up a german e.V.
(nonprofit association, like KDE e.V.). That looks like something I can give
back to darktable. It could be either a "darktable e.V." or a "Libre
Graphics e.V." with a wider scope. But of course this only makes sense if
the developers like the idea, and if somebody wants to be president.

Regards,
Michael

Tobias Ellinghaus
2015-05-11 12:51:51 UTC
Post by Michael Below
Post by Michael Below
if you need help setting up a non profit organisation I am glad to help: I'm
a lawyer, and a happy darktable user (and I've also asked how to donate to
darktable some time ago)... I can offer help setting up a german e.V.
(nonprofit association, like KDE e.V.). That looks like something I can
give back to darktable. It could be either a "darktable e.V." or a "Libre
Graphics e.V." with a wider scope. But of course this only makes sense if
the developers like the idea, and if somebody wants to be president.
Actually we tried to fund an e.V. about a year ago. The state of planning was
[0] and the first draft of a charter was [1].

The reason that it didn't work out in the end was that we didn't have enough
people that were willing to sign the charter present in Leipzig (LGM 2014).

The idea hasn't died yet, it's just on hiatus for the time being. As Robert
mentioned, maybe in a year when we meet in London.

About getting under an umbrella organisation, we asked several of them
initially, but either got no reply or were told that they had years of
backlogs and couldn't accept us [2].

[0]
http://darktable.org/redmine/projects/darktable/wiki/Information_collection_for_founding_an_association_%28german%29
[1] http://darktable.org/redmine/projects/darktable/wiki/Draft_satzung
[2] http://darktable.org/redmine/projects/darktable/wiki/Dev_Meeting_Agenda
Post by Michael Below
Regards,
Michael
Tobias

[...]
Tobias Ellinghaus
2015-05-11 13:03:26 UTC
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
I'm a lawyer, and a happy darktable user (and I've also asked how to
donate to darktable some time ago)... I can offer help setting up a
german e.V. (nonprofit association, like KDE e.V.). That looks like
something I can give back to darktable. It could be either a "darktable
e.V." or a "Libre Graphics e.V." with a wider scope. But of course this
only makes sense if the developers like the idea, and if somebody wants
to be president.
Actually we tried to fund an e.V. about a year ago. The state of planning
was [0] and the first draft of a charter was [1].
The reason that it didn't work out in the end was that we didn't have enough
people that were willing to sign the charter present in Leipzig (LGM 2014).
The idea hasn't died yet, it's just on hiatus for the time being. As Robert
mentioned, maybe in a year when we meet in London.
Or maybe in Cambodia in November for Fossography [4], an alternative to LGM
that is hopefully more photography and developer centric.
[4] preliminary website is https://fossography-robyduck.rhcloud.com/ and will
probably move to http://www.fossography.org/ eventually.
Tobias Ellinghaus
2015-05-11 13:06:52 UTC
It's of course easy to add a project to the Apache Foundation -- if
you are willing to use the AL.
Does that mean Apache License? I "fear" we can't move away from GPL since we
can't get consent from all contributors for such a step.

[...]
Luis Carlos
2015-05-11 14:57:39 UTC
Hello:

I understand that donations should be handle as a seriuos/legal thing, but,
what if the developers just set up a WishList in Amazon so those interested
can send a gift as appreciation? I remember this worked for the developer
of MRTG (https://tobi.oetiker.ch/wish/)

Regards,

--
Luis Carlos.
Luis Carlos.
Simon Spannagel
2015-05-11 22:38:10 UTC
Dear Luis and others,

I guess all developers and other people working on the project appreciate that you would be willing to buy us a book or a beer.

But this isn't what drives us to further invest time into the project. What drives us is that we like the project, the community, we like the product and we use it ourselves - nothing else.

This obviously also influences some decisions, e.g. on including feature x or not, but also allows everyone to just freely go ahead with whatever he or she likes.

If there is really the need for money we will (and already did) tell you. This was for example the Libre Graphics Meeting travel fund - which allowed not only us but also others from the community to mingle and come up with new ideas (see dual iso or highlight color reconstruction).

We discussed this before, and beside such occasions (where a donation possibility is given by the respective organization) we would have no idea how and on what to spend the money.

The e.V. is something related but has a wider scope. Having a legal organization backing the development would ensure that no one working on the project could personally made responsible for violating whatever patent or else. The "accepting donations" part is just something that would then be possible, but I have no clue if or how we would actually make use of this.

If you want to contribute, the most valuable thing is your time. Also there is no tax on this. ;) translate darktable, find and report bugs, write blog posts for our or your own blog, spread the word. You don't need to be a programmer to contribute to open source software - there is enough stuff around the software itself to do...

Cheers,
Simon
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
we
can't get consent from all contributors for such a step.
[...]
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
One dashboard for servers and applications across
Physical-Virtual-Cloud
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable
Insights
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y
Luis Carlos.
Tobias Ellinghaus
2015-05-11 23:01:17 UTC
Am Dienstag, 12. Mai 2015, 00:38:10 schrieb Simon Spannagel:

[...]
Post by Simon Spannagel
find and report bugs
Hint: we have carefully hand crafted and hidden a few of those for your
searching pleasure.

[...]